Maddux of California
maddux of california
William Maddux was born May 1, 1917 in Vallejo, California. He founded Maddux of California in the late 1930’s, which became one of the most prolific of the TV lamp manufacturers; however, they also produced novelty items such as figurines, planters, and tableware/accessories.
In the beginning William began by modeling birds in multiple variations including cockatoos and flamingos and his production was limited to a small home workshop in Los Angeles.
In 1941 he relocated to a larger facility on San Fernando Rd, and in 1944 he partnered with Jimmie Webster; Jimmie Webster was associated earlier with Brad Keeler (see the post on Brad Keeler).
Sales during the import-restricted days of pre-WWII were stellar, but sales suffered post-WWII when imports were allowed again. In 1949 Maddux sold the plant and the Maddux name.
Items that were made prior to the sale are typically marked "Wm. Maddux" or "William Maddux." Items marked "Maddux of California" were produced by various makers after the sale, and all Maddux TV lamps were produced during this time.
Eventually, the company was sold to Rinor Marketing and Maddux of California had become a seller of merchandise instead of a producer.
The Maddux name stayed in use, without any family affiliation, until 1980.